Sunday, February 24, 2008

My New Life as a Cyclist


Clearly, I have a lot to learn! But I left City Coach studio feeling refreshed, rejuvenated and spent (in a great way!). I'm in a little bit of pain today (in the seat) :) , but it was well worth it. I loved it!

Yesterday's indoor cycling "intro" session was lead by City Coach - Assistant Coach, Shane Neil who had us start off with a quick 4.5mile interval set where we worked on hills and regulating our cadence, which is the number of revolutions of the crankset per minute. It was definitely challenging since learning to keep proper form on the bike while also maintaining speed took more focus than I thought it would. After the 4.5, they put the class on a 15mile course over rolling hills, but we only had another 40mins left of class so I conquered 11.5miles is that time. The rest of my overall mileage (20) was in my warm up and cool down.

The way the simulator works is you can see on the scene in front of you all of your stats and where you are exactly on the course as well as where everyone else in the class is in comparison. I have to admit, my favorite part was kicking it into high gear on the down hills. So much fun!!! It's the best how you can see it coming so you put your finger on the gear trigger as the anticipation builds. As soon as the resistance changes, BOOM! you kick it up and rock it out. It's fantastic.

I'm so green when it comes to this sport, so I hope the more experienced cyclist-readers aren't too turned off my my naivety. I had an excellent time cycling yesterday and can't wait to get my own bike and hit the open road! :)

Today's Training: 8miles, 4 X 20 sec striders

Evaluation of this past week (week#1):
Monday
: 5miles, core routine
Tuesday: PM: 6.5miles, 4 X 20 sec striders
Wednesday: Cross train - post work - pool running workout
Thursday: PM: Tempo run - 5miles
Friday: AM: YOGA, PM: Women's self defense/cardio kickbox class-55mins (long story) followed by 2mile run
Saturday: 20miles indoor to cycling class,
Sunday: 8miles, 4 X 20 sec striders
Total: 25 miles + YOGA + 30min pool run + 20mile cycling + 55min kickboxing

Thoughts: I need to get my mileage up and take out some of the other junk. I'll post week#2 of training (for the upcoming week) shortly.

2 comments:

Gotta Run..... said...

Solid, busy week for you!! Stick with the indoor cycle class. Your "seat" will learn to take the workouts and you will no longer feel tender in that area.

GO GIRL!!!!

DFerg said...

Thanks Babe! I'm a bit sore from it all, but it's that good pain that makes you feel like you're really getting somewhere! :)

Thanks for the encouragement! I really appreciate it.