Sunday, February 10, 2008

City Coach - It's Almost Time to TRI

So, as I mentioned I headed off to meet with Coach Jonathan Cane at his City Coach Studio in Brooklyn. Shockingly it took me about 10mins to walk over to the studio from my apartment. How I didn't realize that the City Coach studio was so close to my hood, I don't really know.

When I got there the 12pm indoor cycling session was just wrapping up. It was great to see a training group in action working on what looked like on heck of a 24mile ride! I watched for awhile and then went to the back to find Coach Cane. We started to chat about my goals as far as running this winter/spring and how that works in with getting started with biathlons and triathlons. This whole experience is exciting and nerve racking since I'm not quite sure what I'm getting into. I know that I'll be able to do this, but the "how well?" is yet to be determined.

So here's the meat of it....

Goals for Winter/Spring:

Feb '08
Start cycling (rental) - work on getting a bike
Work on swimming form - get feedback

March '08
Coogans Salsa, Blues, and Shamrocks 5k - March 2nd
Observe the March Madness Biathlon in Central Park - March 30th

April '08
Brooklyn Biathlon - April 13th

May '08
Broad Street Run - May 5th
Queens Biathlon - May 18th

And that's all I have for now. It's a good start, I think!

As for the gear I have to purchase for this new sport... Well, let's just say it' s going to be a lot different than simply strapping on my shoes and heading out the door. Here's the basics I'll need to purchase in the next few weeks/month (some things sooner than others):
Helmet
Gloves
Shoes
Shorts (padded)
Jersey
Tool kit
Arobars
...and of course, a new bike

Coach Cane helped break things down into what I'd need immediately and on what items we can spend some time looking around for deals. I greatly appreciate him taking the time to go through the specifics with me and help me break down what I need to do in the next few months. I'm definitely less intimidated by the whole endeavor having talked things through with Coach Cane. This has been a goal of mine for some time and I'm excited that things actually seem to be getting off the ground. It's going to surely be an investment of time, money and commitment, but I'm really excited for this new adventure.

1 comments:

Laurel said...

Looks like you have a busy spring in store for you. Sounds like an adventure though.