Monday, February 4, 2008

Active Warm Up with Olympic Marathoner: Mark Coogan

Finally! Here is the "Active Warm Up" video with Olympic Marathoner Mark Coogan that I was trying to post over weekend.

I'm a big fan of active warm ups prior to a workout as opposed to static stretching which has been proven to stiffen muscles and actually increase the risk of injury. Like grams on the left, yeah, I don't recommend doing that!

An active warm up will help you "ready" the muscles you are going to use on your run and get you up and moving into a quality training run (or effort) sooner and more effectively.

And even though the Patriots experienced a ROYAL upset yesterday, I hope you will at least appreciate Mark Coogan's fantastic Boston accent (in the video) and the fact that there are still quite a few quality athletes in New England. :)

So, if you're interested in how I found this video (and even if your not), I'll tell you. I recently saw an advert for excercisetv.tv and decided to check it out. Now, I'm not a fan of actual "excercise tv" stations. I'm actually the type who will stop on the "excercise" station while flipping through stations, but instead of joining in on the routine I'll watch it for 15-20 minutes while laying on the couch, munching on snacks! :) But something about getting short workouts online and on-demand was interesting to me. So, I checked it out and was pleasently surprised.

There are all sorts of short clips for nutrition, wait training, ab workouts, you name it. And they are all brief enough to meet the demands of my short attention span (for this type of stuff at least!)

I think they have something here that is a bit more appealing to us control freaks that like to do things on our own schedule! :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there-

thanks for checking out my blog. I like yours...good information!

DFerg said...

Thanks! It's still pretty new, so I appreciate the feedback.

I like how you have your upcoming races posted. I'll have to do that for extra motivation! :)

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Good post! I checked out that exercise tv site...pretty cool, ahhh so much info online so little time :-)

DFerg said...

yes, yes, so little time. But thanks for taking a few minutes to check out my blog. Best of luck with your training!

scarinzic said...

that oldster is flexible!!

Gotta Run..... said...

LOVE your blog. tons of great info. Excercise TV website has now been added to my favorites list.

Also saw that you posted the video on the 13 year old ultra runner. What a great story. I watched it the other day several times. Amazing.

Sad about the patriots but they still rocked an awesome year.

Now on to baseball. GO RED SOX.

DFerg said...

And gotta run, thanks for the blog props! :) Mackenzie's story is pretty amazing. Concerning in some ways, but remarkable none the less.

DFerg said...

scarinzic, that's actually my grandmom. She used to be a rockette! ;)