Monday, February 11, 2008

A Runner's Log!

You've heard it time and time again just how important it is to keep a training log. You know the deal. For the more obvious reasons, a runner's log is an important tracking tool needed to provide a visual evidence of your base, your build up, your progress. To show you were you might need to improve or where you should give yourself a mighty ol' pat on the back.

You're log is your best friend and your worst enemy. Either way, your log is with you through thick and thin. Your log doesn't lie (that is unless, you do!).

I'm not so great at using my log while I'm not specifically training for anything, but as I get ready to face what's sure to be an exciting Spring season, I know I'll be dusting off the cover and setting up my framework for the training to come.

My log is an old generic day/week planner that I found at CVS four years ago. A small spiral notebook with a bright blue plastic cover that I adoringly covered with RUNNYC and BridgeRunner's stickers. When I'm in training, wherever I go my log goes with me. I look forward to writing in my training each day, tallying in my weekly totals each Sunday night and adding those weekly totals to my overall training mileage and of course, training shoe mileage. Just as I love writing down the mileage I've rocked out for the day, I completely dread writing when I've fallen short of a daily plan or weekly goal (as I appropriately cover those spaces with frown faces or curse words ;) ).

My log is simple in that I don't go into tons of detail re: my daily routine, but I put enough down that it provides a great reference for later review. It also helps boost my confidence the nights leading up to a big race, when I can lay in bed and look at all the "money in the bank" and feel completely invested in what I'm about to take on.

So no matter how big or small your current goals are, log your progress. It's so gratifying to watch your dreams become a reality right before your eyes.

I prefer the old fashion way, but there are so many great resources online for logging your mileage/training. Here are just a few suggestions:

Map My Run
Running Ahead
Runner's World Online Training Log
..And this is a new one (for me), ProgressLog

If you have any other suggestions or would like to share how you map your training, please let me know! I'd love to hear it!

2 comments:

Gotta Run..... said...

I love the idea of a log. It will 100% show you if you are putting in the needed work or not.

Mine showed me that I had doubled my miles in the month of Jan. compared to last year. Now that was nice!!!

DFerg said...

That's awesome. Yea, it's defintely great to track your progress and really see yourself reach your goals!

What type of log do you use?