Friday, February 29, 2008

"Favorite Thing" Fridays - Cozy Socks & Warm Gloves

No one likes to have cold toes or fingers! So it's important to keep those metacarpals and metatarsals warm and cozy for the ride and not to mention protect them from the elements of the harsh winter weather. If last night's run taught me anything, it was having the proper socks and gloves can make MAJOR differences in your run.


I was ever so fortunate to forget a pair of socks last night so I decided to run in my work-trouser socks. Not the best decision of my life, but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do! So, half way through the run my left (stocking thin) sock slips under my heel and instantly it begins to chafe. I tried to stop and fix it but no amount of yanking could keep it from slipping right under my heel again. Sweet! So, this led to thoughts of what pair of socks I has wished were on me feet. At least it helped to distract me from the inevitably forming blister for about 5mins! My favorite pair of socks are my Nike Elite Running - No Show Sock. I'm typically not a thin sock wearer, but these socks have great cushioning in the parts that you need it most. They're extremely comfortable, stylish and not at all bulky. LOVE them! My other favorite socks are the Ladies Under Amour cushion- no show. They're very comfortable and durable.
If anyone was out running last night, all the power to ya! The weather was a BEAST! I believe that at 6pm it was reported to feel like 12degrees. But as planned, I braved the West Side Highway (a.k.a. Hudson River Park rec path) after work (check my "fun stats" posted below). The wind was so fierce that it actually felt best when I had to stop for traffic lights on the way to/from the path. I was soooo.. VERY happy to have remembered my "good" gloves which kept my hands toasty, so thankfully that was the least of my concern. If you don't have a good pair of gloves (and you live in a cold climate), I suggest you invest in a pair. Once you try them, you'll never want to go back to that old ratty pair that you got for free at a race 10+ years ago that are three sizes too big for your hands. .. or at least I never went back to mine! My favorite are the women's lightweight running gloves. My hands heat up quick so anything heavier than a "lightweight" glove is a bit uncomfortable (at least, for me).


Stats from Yesterday's Run - 6miles (out and back) - WSH
# of times I thought about going back inside: 1
# of times I thought to myself "I'm crazy!": 1 million
# of times I had to stop to (try to) fix my sock: 5
# of runners spotted out on the WSH: 8 (brave souls)
# of bikers " ": 12
# of pedestrians " ": 4
# of times I wished I brought my metro card: 0 (I'm not that lame!)
# of times I wished I had put on an extra top layer: I can't count that high!


Today's training:
AM: Yoga, PM: 55min Cardio Kickbox, and 2 miles

Nike Structure Triax Update - Day 2
Today I used the RW Shoe Finder to see the comparison between what I was running in, the ASICS 1120's and the NIKE Structure Triax 11. I tried to link directly to the comparison between the two, but it didn't seem to work. So here's the skinny, they are both a stability shoe but the major differences were that the ASICS 1120's are slightly heavier (by 1oz) and the Triax was more of a neutral shoe where as the ASICS 112o is better suited for the overpronator.

So, last night went well sans the sock debacle!! I do wish the laces were a bit longer so I could do my "crazy laces" knot for more ankle support, but I suppose I could purchase new laces myself. As for the overall ride of the shoe, it was still just okay in my opinion.

2 comments:

PLe1 said...

A) I live on 45th and 8th so I'm between the two but I'd classify myself as more of a WSH runner than a CP runner. But you read my last post so you know where my head's at.
2)Gloves are the most important cold weather element in a runner's arsenal. It's amazing how much you can regulate your temperature just by adding and subtracting gloves.
D)I ran in the Park last night and it was brutal, but we all agreed we'd miss those nights come the grueling summer.
11)I always try to run with my Metro Card because I never want to second guess going a little more north, or east or west. I see the metro card as this magical safety blanket so I don't have to worry about pushing my limits. I may never use it, and i haven't, but if I ever need it I have it. But D, that's just how I roll...

http://ple1.blogspot.com

DFerg said...

Can't say I've never ran with my metro card.. and there's been plenty of times when I had wished i brought it (typically during marathon training). But on the everyday run, I agree it's the safer option, but I'm still not bringing it.

I've always figured that if I REALLY needed to get on the train, I could talk the attendant into letting me on. I'm good at figuring out a way to make things like that work. :) ...and tears are always the last resort!