Monday, February 25, 2008

Modified Fasting & NutritonData.com

Did anyone see the article on the Runner's World Daily blog about how to lose weight by "pigging out"? Does this idea sound ridiculous to anyone else?





If you chose to read more of the RW blog post it re-directs you to the site, NutritionData.com. It's there that you can read on to discover that this idea of intermittent fasting DOES seem to work for some people (best results were from obese individuals). But even after reading the rest of the article and information on the small studies conducted to test this idea, I still don't think it's necessary for the average active and (generally) healthy eating individual. As athletes we need well balanced nutrition to become "well oiled and properly fueled machines". I'm not an expert in this field, but I'm also not sure that the "stop and go" signals of modified fasting will send the best message to your body. I have always received the best results (mentally and physically) when I have been able to get myself on a regular structured and well regulated nutritional schedule. Not that sticking to the one day "20% few calorie-fast" & one day "pig out" isn't establishing a routine that your body will eventually become accustomed to, but it just doesn't seem like the most optimal way to lose weight while maintaining the proper energy and fuel stores your body needs to train, perform and recover. Distance runner, "steve" posted an interesting comment on this topic. If you have a second, give it a look and let me know what you think.

So, while I was on NutritionData.com, I decided to take a look around. This site was actually recommended to me by a coworker a little over a year ago. I had checked it out at the time, but I knew I didn't posses the patience it would take to register and update my pantry to use the more in depth nutrition analysis tools it offers. No way, Jose! But the site does contain some fantastic resources and a few tools I can see myself using more regularly such as the needs calculator.

So, despite the fact that I'm not diving into the world of calorie counting and I'm also not planning to start a modified fasting regimine anytime soon, I must climb up on my soap box to say how important it is that we all give our due diligence to the topic of proper nutrition. When it comes to learning about how we can better fuel ourselves, our resources are seemly endless. It's more about finding what works best for you and sticking to it. Good luck!

Training Schedule Week#2 -(Feb 25-March 2):
Monday: Rest... fighting off a cold!
Tuesday: AM: YOGA PM: RUNNYC - 6miles - 4 X 20 sec striders
Wednesday: AM: 5miles
Thursday: PM: I heart NYC run 6-7miles
Friday: AM: YOGA, PM: Women's self defense/cardio kickbox class-55mins
followed by 2mile run

Saturday: 5 miles, 4 X 20 sec striders
Sunday: 8miles
Total: 32 miles + YOGA + 55min kickboxing

2 comments:

scarinzic said...

Are you feeling better?

Speaking of good nutrition, have you ever been on fitday.com? I think it's technically meant for folks looking to lose weight, but it also allows you to see the percentage split in your diet between fat, protein and carbs. For a multi-sport athlete, it's a good way to make sure you're getting enough calories and that they're comnig from the right places.

FitDay.com also monitors amount of vitamins and minerals you're getting. Give it a look-see - the whole vitamin tracker is fascinating.

DFerg said...

Yes, feeling better. Thanks!

I'll check out fitday.com. Thanks again for the rec. I like the idea of a vitamin tracker. Sounds cool.