Monday, March 24, 2008

"Safety Never Takes a Holiday!"

If there is one thing they remind us of over and over at RUNNYC, it's that "safety never takes a holiday"! I for one normally feel very safe running in Manhattan and Brooklyn. And I must admit that although I try my best to be on guard, sometimes I tend to drift into that sublime meditative running state when I'm on on my own.. and I'm not always ready for the unexpected. No matter where you are, you need to do your best to be prepared.

A good friend and former college teammate of mine recently sent me this article about a recent mugging in Central Park. So, as a much needed reminder to everyone out there, be alert and be looking out for one another as well.

Also, I think at this point everyone should be running with a Road ID. In the article above, it says that the victim had his cell phone on him but could not speak to the 911 operator. Luckily a few bikers were able to come to his aid and help him out. Having your personal information on you during an unfortunate situation such as this will help medical personnel identify you and contact your loved ones a lot quicker.

Have a great run today... and BE SAFE!!

0 comments: