Sunday, March 9, 2008

Sunday- FunDay- RunDay


Today's Training: After two intense days of cross training... it was back to basics this morning. I got in a nice 8mile run over hills followed by striders and some core strengthening work. Ah.... it was chilly but wonderful to be out running again!

Review of Week#3 Training Schedule -(March 3 - March 9):
Monday: 3miles
Tuesday: PM: RUNNYC (5.8 tempo run) total: 7.5m- 4 X 20 sec striders
Wednesday: PM: 6miles
Thursday: AM: 6.5miles
Friday: AM: 60min -YOGA, PM: 60mins Ultimate Street Fighter class
Saturday: cycling session at City Coach 17miles (including warmup/cool down)
Sunday: 8miles, 4 X 20 sec striders
Totals: 31 miles + 60min of YOGA + 60min kickboxing + 17miles of cycling

Thoughts: Well, losing the Saturday running mileage lowered the original goal number (35miles), but I got in some quality cross training with yoga, cycling and kickboxing. The run Tuesdasy night with RUNNYC kicked my butt and I was still recovering through Thursday. Friday's Yoga+Kickbox combo top off with a spur of the moment late night dance party with some friends made Saturday's AM cycling session way more of a challenge!! Shorty got LOW on the dance floor and it defintely did a number on her hamstrings and quads (esp after 60mins of kickboxing!!). Whoops!

But all in all it was a great training week. I got in lots of quality core work and I'm really
diggin' the YOGA class I've been going to. It's unlike any other yoga class I've ever attended. It combines lots of core strengthening and stretching poses but with very high repetitions. The instructor is great and the class leaves me wonderfully exhausted but refreshed at the same time.

Yesterday's cycling session was particularly disappointing. I got off to a slow start since the bike City Coach has generously lent me (until I get my own) was given a new seat which from
the moment I hopped on... was an obvious problem. Let's just say it was particularly painful... and pretty much hurt like a little b*tch. The seat is designed so your sit bones rest directly on both sides of the split (picture on right). .. And HOLY HELL!!, it was painful. I had to sit on a towel for extra cushioning about half way through and finished the ride as bent forward as possible to take the pressure off my screaming sit bones. On top of that the bike wasn't changing gears correctly and kept skipping over gears as I tried to adjust. The big gear wouldn't even slide up to the big wheel (I know, I need to learn my cycling terms!) so I had to stay on the middle wheel. So, on top of my legs feeling like lead (from the kickboxing and dancing night before) there were several factors that distracted me from having a good ride. I was bummed about it, but I understand that sh*t happens.
I've learned a few lessons this time around... so hopefully next week's ride will be better! :)

1 comments:

MBARRY said...

readers should know that runnerchick has an alter ego known as 'dancerchick.'

her talent cannot be denied.

the dance session must be counted as a workout.