Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Happy Hump Day!

This week's hump day didn't get all Wet-N-Wild, but I still managed to have a little fun. I'm starting to get the sniffles and decided to stay out of the pool. So, instead of the normal Wednesday pool workout, I decided to go out for a "productive" five miler in my neighborhood.

The goal was to get out and get some food on the way home. I must admit, since I've been away every weekend this month, my cupboards are completely bare! Well, mission accomplished! I did one of my normal loops around the hood and traveled down to red hook to the new Fairway (love that place!). I could only buy what I could physically run with for the 1-mile it takes to get back home. And trust me!!..... you DON'T want to be walking through red hook after dark! It was great motivation. :)

Last night's run with RUNNYC was excellent. The weather and atmosphere in Central Park couldn't have been more perfect. I kept a nice steady 7:30 pace and stuck to mhttp://wwwy place of putting in 4 x 20sec striders after my run. Sweet!

After my run, I had the chance to talk to Coach Jonathan Cane about my aspirations to do a triathlon in the near future. Coach Cane is a coach for several running groups including RUNNYC and his coaching service, City Coach. I also ran into one of my good friends Phil Reichner who is an EKIN (NIKE spelled backwards) rep. And in my short conversation with both Coach Cane and Phil I somehow talked my way into starting to train for a triathlon (with CC's support to get me going) and also trying out a pair of NIKEs (as my new training shoes). We'll see how this all turns out, but it makes me kind of happy that I have so many supportive and motivating friends in this big city!

Also, I'm happy to announce that I'm definitely going to train for the Philadelphia Broad Street run. I'm going to continue my "base" training for the next two weeks and then kick it up a few notches! New Nikes and another race to train for... things are definitely going to get interesting next month!! :)

Today's training: 5miles and short core strengthening routine.

1 comments:

scarinzic said...

YES! Drink the kool-aid and become a triathlete!!