Monday, January 21, 2008

The Right Shoe For You

As I've already mentioned on this blog, I'm a bit of an ASICS fan (as far as running shoes go). I've tried Saucony's, Mizuno's, Nike's, Brooks, New Balance in the past, but I always end up coming back to my tried and true, ASICS. I'm currently running in my third pair of ASICS 1120's and I'm more than happy to stick with this model. However, it seems as though ASICS is no longer manufacturing it and has now moved on to the "1130". It okay though, I've had my heart broken before when I lost the ASICS 1090 and the old-old Kayano's... but all good (running shoe) things eventually do come to an end. I fully understand how it's not always easy to stay true to "your shoe" especially since most running shoe manufactures are constantly changing and "improving" (sometimes debatable) their models.

So, (if like me) you find yourself on the hunt for a new solid pair of running shoes, here are a few tips I'd like to share to help you find your next pair.

If you are a more experienced runner and know what your feet crave, check out this helpful Shoe Finder tool from the Runner's World Shoe Lab. I think it's an excellent way to help you find what's new and highly rated out there on the market. But for our lesser experienced runners, before you go guessing that your feet need more "stability" over "cushioning", I recommend visiting your local running specialty store for advice. Side note, this is my all time favorite specialty running store, the Bryn Mawr Running Company.

Running specialty stores allow you the opportunity to speak with actual runners who are better trained on the pros/cons of each brand/model....way more so than your average Footlocker or Modells salesperson. Most running specialty stores talk specifically with you about your running history, training goals and will examine your last pair of running shoes to see where they took the most beating in order to make a sound suggestion. And honestly, I always need to try new shoes on since just because they sound great and have received great reviews does not mean your feet, knees and/or entire body will love them.

Runners World has some great articles and helpful info & suggestions courtesy of their RunnersWorld Shoe Lab. It's an wonderful starting point as you being your search for your new "sole" mate :)!

Here's a video on their best rated shoes for winter 2008. Best of luck searching!

2 comments:

Erik said...

Good post. My top shoes:
1. Brooks
2. Asics
3. Nike

I used to wear NB, but they hurt my feet something fierce.

DFerg said...

Thanks Erik! NB's are typically very wide and I found that they didn't work well for my feet either.