Thursday, January 17, 2008

Getting down to the core!

Why is it that while you're training for something, the idea of having extra time after your event is over seems like such a dream. My thoughts on this subject a few months ago (while training for the NYC marathon) were something along the lines of, "Oh.... imagine ALL the things I will do with my life when I have ALL that free time on my hands...when I'm not racking up 50+ miles a week!"

Well, here I am in the thick of ALL that "free time" and I'm finding myself being quite sloth like. To be honest, I've been sidelined by an agonizing and relentless hamstring issue which has been hanging around for WAY too long. I've been going to PT and am hopeful (this time) to get to the root of the issue and resolve it. But for now, I need to get myself back in motion since I've decided that the discomfort in my hamstring is not nearly as bad as the feelings of guilt & grossness and gluttony that occurs when I do have too much time on my hands. What can I say, I'm totally lacking in the self control department when left to my own devices.

Well, enough is enough and I'm getting things back on track and I'm starting by taking it to the core, core strenghening that is! Runners often overlook this aspect of strengthening even though we hear time and time again how important it is... and can find ample info, tips and instructions on the subject online here, here, for purchase here, and even with the help of balls here or a wheel here (and i could go on and on). Building a strong foundation is key in becoming a stronger, fitter, faster athelte.

So, why is it that most of us still don't do our due core strengthening diligence? One reason just might be that most of us attempt to do too much too soon. Most likely we are doing core work in conjunction with other exercise and we all know the temptation of cutting our workouts short when fatigue sets in. So, like most goals in life, it's best to start small and create achievable daily routines to then build upon. First, pick your favorite core strengthening exercises (search around, kid!) and create "your" routine.

For me (starting small) this would look like 40secs on/20secs off of the following:

1. "Wrist Abs" * Lie on back with knees bent, feet on floor * Extend your arms out straight, parallel with your knees * crunch up extending your wrists towards your knees, lower and repeat * remember to keep your eyes facing forward and chin from bending towards your chest

2. Slow bicycle (2sec pause each time you're leg is fully extended & parallel with the floor) For a variation that is easier on your back, check out the "leg push away" in this article.







3.V-sit ups (except in my variation) *Starting position is legs and arms fully extended in the opposite direction * Keep back flat on the floor * Begin by bringing your legs up off the ground to meet your arms and return back to the starting position.






4. Russian Twists No pic (working on it) but here's a description: * From a sitting position, balance yourself on your backside with your knees bent and feet slightly off the ground * place your arms crossed over each other (i dream of Jeanie style) * begin by rocking your torso from right to left, crunching down on each side as you turn (the elbow of the side you are rocking to will automatically go down as you crunch) * swing back and forth on a 1-2 count

5. SuperMan (desc. is a bit different than pic... ) * Lie face down on a mat with your arms stretched above your head (like superman) * Raise your right arm and left leg about 5-6 inches off the ground (or as far as you comfortably can). * Hold for 3 seconds and relax. * Repeat with the opposite arm and leg. AFTER a recovery (20secs) - I follow up with a double arm/leg superman (pic on right) which I will hold for 30-40 secs






As I get comfortable with a routine (i.e. religiously do it 3-4+ times a week), I then start to add more core exercises or lengthen my "on" time. I rarely do the same exercise twice in one routine and this helps me a bit from getting bored or too frustrated. And hell, when all else fails and the sloth monster has you pinned to the couch.. scream out HELP!! to your spouse, significant other, roommate or call a friend and make them do your routine with you or have them time you for some added motivation. Remember, there's strength in numbers! Good Luck!

0 comments: