Monday, January 28, 2008

Treadin' in Texas

Weekend Post: January 26-27, 2008

This past weekend I found myself in Dallas, TX for work. The weekend was packed with required meetings/events and left me zero time to hit the Lone Star Streets. It was my first time in Texas, but from what I've heard, Dallas ain't nothing to get excited about. Apart from an intense schedule of meetings, I got to see the inside of a local Walmart (always an interesting adventure) and I got to attend Medieval Times for dinner, which was surprisingly fun.

As far as remaining consistent with my training, I'm happy to say that I did stay on track thanks to the fact that my hotel had one of the nicer hotel fitness centers I've seen. So, in the wee hours of the morning, I was able to get in about 6.5 on Saturday and 5miles Sunday.

Treadmill running is just dreadful in my mind. Especially when you've been mostly running outside and are "forced" to come indoors. The few things that I do love, however about treadmill running is the fact that you don't have to deal with traffic lights, crazy intersections and the pedestrian obstacles of the outdoors. Oh, and I guess avoiding the 25degree weather is also a plus!

Treadmills are excellent for getting in quality tempo runs and/or timed intervals. Honestly, I find it very difficult to run on a treadmill and not do one of either. Changing the pace or elevation throughout the run is almost a necessary distraction for me. Most often this happens in 2.5min or 5min increments (for a Tempo run) but on days in which I'm feeling less motivated, I go by a pre-determined number of songs on my ipod (covering my elapsed time for most of the run). For me, watching my time on the treadmill makes my run feel epic!!

RunnersWorld currently has a few good treadmill training tip videos on their site. Here's one that offiers another idea to help us in the battle againts treadmill boredom:


Sunday's workout:
5mins - warm up
@ 5mins- increase speed
@ 10mins - increase elevation
@ 15mins - increase speed
@ 20mins - increase elevations
@ 25mins - increase speed
@ 30mins - decrease elevation
@ 35mins- increase speed/decrease elevation (finish strong- with a kick)
@ 40 mins- slowly decrease speed/warm down for 5mins
Total: 45min run
* Followed by full core strengthening!!

2 comments:

scarinzic said...

want to hear something crazy? i've never been on a treadmill in my life! give me the great outdoors and i'm a happy man! even at the coldest point of the n.y. winter, i'm on the road...

DFerg said...

That IS pretty crazy!! It usually takes a lot to get me on a treadmill (opposed to taking on the outdoors)
This past weekend, it was more of a safty issue. I was up before sunrise in a city that doesn't have the greatest rep when it comes to safty.

But I hear you about taking on the cold, rain, sleet, snow, and heat wave (on the other end). I'm typically a die hard too, but I just can't get over that you've NEVER been on one! Impressive.