Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Change Your Shoes, Change Your Life!

Yup, it's back to ASICS for me!


Now, I'm not (fully) attributing my injury to my trail of the the NIKE Structure Triax 11, but since my hamstring pain did significantly worsen about a week and a half after wearing the new shoes, well, I thought it smart to see if going back to my ol' trainers might help. I obviously now know that there's no muscle tear and no serious damage to my lower back, hips or the hamstring itself. And so, it's shooting in the dark to see what works... and I'm just hoping and praying to hit the target!



The pain is still there (walking, sitting, you name it) even though it's now on six weeks of no running. I'm crawling out of my skin to get back on the road! I did sneak out this past weekend for a slooooowwww 30min run and it hurt, but I managed.



To re-cap my progress (or lack there of) with this injury, after getting clean MRI results at the beginning of April, I was referred to a Exercise kinesiologist who studies Chiropractic Medicine, however he did not take my insurance. I called back to my Doctor to see if he could recommend someone else, but I didn't hear back for a week. So, in the meantime, I scheduled and appt with a chiropractor I had gone to back in Fall 2006. Tonight will be my second visit to that Chiropractor and I'm hoping this helps! My Doctor's office did finally get back to me with another name, but it was for a Physical Therapist. I'm not sure what direction to go in.. so I haven't called that office just yet.

As far as my own prognosis, I really am starting to think it's my sciatic nerve and I've noticed that it hurts more then I wear flat shoes. Does that make any sense to anyone out there? I'm sort of in a catch 22 though considering my leg hurts less when I wear a slight heel, but my sesamoid bones get irritated when I'm in heels. go figure!



Well, either way, I need to be back out on the road in two weeks. I signed up for the NIKE NYC Half Marathon and I DON'T want to sit this one out! .. I also can't settle for racing it half assed! So, we'll see!

3 comments:

scarinzic said...

well, i'm stumped. not sure what could possibly give you so much pain - it's been six weeks since you've run? and you're still in pain? are you cycling? if it's the sciatic nerve, that might be irritated by the pedal motion. or not, i have no frickin' idea.

you mentioned the sesamoid bones flaring up while you're in heels - does that happen in your trainers? i had some discomfort there not too long ago and it was resolved by lacing my shoe a bit looser. are your shoes too tight maybe?

wish i could be of more help. sorry you're sidelined! i know it's frustrating.

DFerg said...

well, the sesamoid things flared up after the NYC marathon this past fall and hasn't given me too much trouble since Dec-Jan. So, that's the least of my worries.

My hamstring doesn't really hurt when I cycle but I've noticed that it will hurt pretty bad not to long after I finish a ride. So, I've been doing that, pool running, and swimming a bit.

The chiropractor said to remain off of it for a while longer while they try to massage the area and work it out. I'm giving this a shot before I just say heck with it and run through the pain.

At least it seems like it has subsided a bit and is back to the average amount of discomfort that I've dealt with for years. It was just so irritated back in Mid-march and I don't know what caused the intense the flare up. It could have been a number of things (Nikes, Kickboxing, high rep-yoga, other shoes?, etc.. ).

I just wish someone could point to what it is and i could actually start putting the work into making it better.. instead of just hoping it will go away somehow. SUPER frustrating! but if I just start to run again at this point, I'll NEVER really solve the problem!

Anonymous said...

ha, I just switched from years of asics to a nike! it was a big move; as i had injuries due to shoes before.

hope you're better off with asics!