Monday, April 14, 2008

Brooklyn Biathlon


I swung by the Brookyn Biathlon yesterday morning in Prospect Park to observe the transition and to check out the performances of some of Coach Cane's crew. Here are the results of some of the City Coach athletes from his blog. As you can see there were quite a few strong performances!
.
And my fellow blogger friend scarinzic had a solid opener of the season as well!
.
Great Job Everyone!

Five simple (and silly) things I learned about multi-sport transitioning...




1. Experienced bi/tri athletes do not re-tie their shoes and simply slip on their racing shoes and take off ...which makes perfect sense.


2. The area between the "dismount" and the transition section can sometimes leave you running 20-30feet in your socks or cycling shoes. I was wondering how that was going to work.


3. Transitioning is probably much smoother if you do the same thing every time, as in developing your own routine and sticking to it (which will probably help you also avoid #5). It looked like a lot of people had their own unique plan of attack for this process.


4. The size/shape of the bi/tri athlete means nothing about whether or not they are good or not (where as in running, this isn't as often the case). There were some "larger" people out there whooping more "fit" people on the bike. I wonder if that one man's stomach was actually one round muscle and not a beer belly??? ... because he was flying!! :)


5. There really are goobers who run out of the transition area with their helmets still strapped to their heads! Coach Cane wasn't kidding, it does happen! :)

5 comments:

scarinzic said...

hey thanks for the shout out! It was a pretty fun race - ny tri does a nice job. Too bad you couldn't race - how's the hammy?

Re: your point about slipping in and out of running shoes... Elastic laces work wonders. I highly recommend them if you haven't picked em up yet.

Chris said...

great blog!

scarinzic said...

Also... your coach called something out that had me scratching my head too. At the end of my first run, I stopped my watch at 11:47. When I checked the results, it read 10:57. At first I was like... holy crap, I ran a 5:12 pace?? But then I realized that if you added :50 to everyone's time, you get the real split. Not sure what happened with the chips, but glad I timed myself to get an accurate account of the day's work.

DFerg said...

wait, I'm confused... ha! what did the split he called out have anything to do with the chip times being wrong? Yea, good thing you were timing yourself. I would have been livid if I didn't have the correct time after an effort like that!!

btw, your times are great! Good job!

scarinzic said...

Oops! I didn't mean what your coach called out on race day - I meant that in his blog he mentioned that the times listed in the results for the first run were a bit screwy (e.g., "called it out" in his blog) - apparently, they didn't have the mat placed in the right spot or the chips didn't register right away or something like that.

Anyway, the official run time for the first leg was about :50 short of reality. So if the folks at City Coach didn't wear a watch and wanted to know what their real time was, they could probably just add :50 to the first run leg and have an idea of their real time. Sorry for the confusion!