Thursday, April 17, 2008

Road Warrior

Last night was a beautiful night in New York! Mild temperature, clear skies, and a gorgeous sunset! It was the kind of night that you just wouldn't want to waste sitting home say looking at endless wedding websites (barf!) or watching another episode of Anthony Bourdain.

After getting home at a decent hour (for once), I decided to quickly strap on my new cycling gloves and my trusty helmet and take my new bike for a serious spin around the city. As I started out, this man at the end of my block shouted out (in all of his Brooklyn stereotypical presence), "It's a great night for a ride!". My obvious reply, "It sure is!", and with that, I took off north towards the Brooklyn Bridge. My ride took me over the bridge, through Chinatown, and up the path on the east river park with my original intentions being to turn around at the Williamsburgh Bridge. But I was having too much fun to turn back at that point, so I headed up further to 23rd street and went cross-town. As I was weaving through traffic and between massive potholes, getting my bad ass fix for the day, I suddenly thought, how friggin' cool is this!?! It's just so great to be finally back seeing New York like everyone ought to, but so few actually do. I felt one of those spectacular rushes that I would get on my "I love New York" runs (although seriously missing my "I love NYC" running buddy)! :)


So, I finshed the last leg of my ride by heading south on the west side highway and then around the tip (west to east) and back up and over the Brooklyn Bridge. The ride was simply fantastic!

Click the pic below to see my ride..

View Interactive Map on MapMyRide.com

5 comments:

Gotta Run..... said...

Seems like we are all hitting the road some these days.

Like the attachment of the map. Very cool!!

XOXO said...

I tried to comment before...iPhone commenting can be challenging!

That said, your ride sounds amazing.

I have been going on some great runs here. The weather is perfect, the beach is amazing, and the sun shining lifts your soul.

That said, that "rush" that I got during our I heart NYC runs us missing. I thing running over bridges at dusk releases a euphoria that cannot be matched by running on the beach in ri or central park. We were in a series of "movie moments".

So, do I need to get a bike to get that back?


Must return to my studies. I probably should not be listening to "miss misery" while studying binomial interest rate option pricing. (don't worry, I don't know how to do it either....)

scarinzic said...

hey - sounds like a great ride! glad you enjoyed yourself. it was indeed a nice night for a ride and i think the next few are going to be that way too!

i've been having an internal battle about the weekend - part of me wants to ride long on saturday b/c it's going to be PERFECT. another part is telling me to line up and race the 4-miler in central park on sunday...

it's funny that your ride through chinatown and the city streets made you think about how much you love new york. when i ride into the city, the part of my ride i can't stand is the part that's disrupted by traffic and pedestrians! i'm always trying to get to some open road as quickly as possible... to each their own, right? afterall, i'm moving to the west coast in a few weeks, so that should give you some idea about how much i like nyc. ;)

DFerg said...

Oh man, a hater! :) So you're leaving for the west coast. My only question is.. why would you wait until April to leave for warmer weather? I would have been on the plane by mid-December! :)

PS: go race! :)

scarinzic said...

ha! i know, right? it's like we waited through the winter and we're leaving just in time for some nice weather. originally, we had hoped to stick around through one last summer and head out in october. oh well!