Wednesday, April 9, 2008

(MRI) - My Ridiculous (health) Insurance!!

So, here I am in my naive little world complaining the other week about having to pay money for a doctor's visit where I didn't learn anything new about this chronic hamstring issue. I've missed days, I mean weeks, of running and am still in pain just walking around... and on top of all of this I just found out that my MRIs (yes, two) are going to coast me $500 out of pocket. Seriously?!?! Not to mention the woman I dealt with at United Health Care, wasn't the most pleasant and caring person in the world!!


I do not want to turn this post into a b*t@h fest and I had plans of writing something fun and uplifting in celebration of today, my 28th birthday!! I wanted to write about how I woke up to a great gift from my roommate and to several fantastic texts, e-mails and messages from my friends, family and fiancé. I wanted to write about how I bought a birthday gift for myself, a beautiful brand new road bike (with Coach Cane's help) and how excited I am about it. But instead, I'm holding back tears regarding this health insurance issue and thinking that life is just sometimes unfair. Ironically, I've spent the last week and a half consoling countless friends, family members and students (at work) who were on the edge of complete breakdowns. The amount of people crying to me has been borderline absurd! (Must be something in the air??) And now, I'm sitting here fighting it.. wishing someone would come around the corner with a violin because at least that would be really really funny!

I am fully aware that there are bigger issues out there and this is seemingly insignificant in the grand scheme of things, but either way, I'd just rather not have to deal with things like this. But I suppose, such is life... and you just have to keep rollin' on.

So, if anyone out there really wants to make me happy this birthday ...just send me a new left leg so I can just forget about dumping all this money into fixing a mysterious problem and can just get back out there on the road! I miss running! ...But yes, I will "make lemonade" with the 500 lemons I've been dealt... and I'll get on a cycling/swimming schedule, but it's just been difficult to do with everything that's been going on.

Tonight: A pool workout.. . YES, it's can be a "Wet and Wild Wednesday" today .. and then celebratory birthday drinks and some sweet potato fries at pommes frites!

4 comments:

XOXO said...

Get wet and wild my friend...it is your birthday.

And...let the tears out. We called it a "donkey cry" when you can barely breathe and feel so helpless. Somehow, letting it out makes the weight on the soul a little less.

Keep your head up. I wish I could give you my left leg but it is a little too big for you and not as toned.

Happy Birthday!

MBARRY said...

Happy Birthday, my dear!

Health insurance is a little ridiculous. You should talk to your doctor know and let them know and see if they can work with you a bit. I'm not kidding.

Hope you feel better soon.

Gotta Run..... said...

HAPPY belated BIRTHDAY!!!

Sweet bike!!

I am so with you on the health insurance. Paying off about $2200 in medical bills right now. What is this country going to do??

Anonymous said...

Ugh, we all have them - downtimes. it's hard, but you have a great humor. keep it up.

happy birthday!!!