Monday, April 21, 2008

Plastic Not So Fantastic!

As I reached up to open the microwave this morning, one of my coworkers frantically approached me and said, "please don't tell me you're putting a plastic container in the microwave". I actually wasn't but this sparked a 10min conversation (or preach session) about plastics and how horrible they are for you. Now, this subject has been getting much necessary attention over the past few months, but it wasn't until today that I decided (as a frequent water bottle user) that I should seriously read up on it.

The New York Times ran this article on April 16th, Canada Likely to Label Plastic Ingredient ‘Toxic’ which directly focuses on Bisphenol-A (or BPA), the potentially toxic culprit found in such popular water bottles as Nalgene, as producing potentially serious health effects to the hormonal system. Two days later a follow up story ran, Bottle Maker to Stop Using Plastic Linked to Health Concerns which focused on the Nalgene Outdoor Products (manufacture of the popular "Nalgene" bottle), a Rochester based company and their decision to stop using BPA due to rising concerns over potential associated health risks. The article also adds that results of animal testing showed limited evidence of BPA producing urinary tract problems and resulting in the development of precancerous tumors (although the evidence was labled as "limited").




Time Magazine also ran the article, Freshen Up You Drink on this subject last month which highlighted the potential problems associated with re-using your plastic water bottles. It offers a chart which evaluates the make up of the most popular brands of plastic water bottles, shoes the "potential problems" and then give a suggestion on whether or not reuse of each specific water bottle is recommended.



Well, we all know how the media loves to jump on issues such as this,which in turn, sends the consumer market into a state of frenzied panic! Not to dismiss the serious nature of the fact that we may be all putting ourselves at risk by continuing to use products which put us in direct contact with BPH and PolyCarbonate, but I think we need to do our best to get all the facts and make the best (and sound) decision for our own health. I am partial to my purple Nalgene bottle, but I'm also quite fond of normal hormonal levels (anyone else with me?). I'll surely be paying close attention to this topic as it continues to develop.. and in the mean time I'll be in the market for a Stainless Steel water bottle, that is until they come back and tell us something negative about steel... for now, it's the best option.


In the meantime, read up my former plastic water bottle toting friends! And remember,

BPA Plastic is Whack-tastic!


3 comments:

Kolla said...

damn skippy - I'm beginning to think there is estrogen in EVERYTHING. Guess I'll be hunting for stainless steel bottles too, let us know if you find any!

Gotta Run..... said...

Man... just when I thought i had the right bottle. Thanks for another insight on the issue.

scarinzic said...

hey! how've you been? how's the running? and the wedding planning?

oh, and i'm in BIG big trouble re: plastic water bottles. i drink double-digit glasses of water out of my plastic cycling bottle every day. uh oh...