Tuesday, April 1, 2008

What's up, Doc?

I left the doctor's office last night feeling completely drained and defeated. I didn't expect and instant cure, but I was still hoping to maybe hear something promising or even something new about my injury.

First of all, does anyone else find something majorly wrong with the medical history sheets you have to complete as a new patient? I believe there was actually a question on the sheet last night that asked, "have you ever had a medical illness" and "If so, please list all and date below". As if everyone carries around their complete medical history in their pocket! Well, I left it blank and figured that if there was something relevant to my current issue, I would have listed it. I mean, what a ridiculously general question ...completely not worth my time.


So, I finally get in with the doc and a few pushes & pulls on my left leg and about a dozen "does this hurt", "ok, does this hurt", "ok, well, does this hurt" 's later ...and what was the outcome? Well, it was a prescription for an MRI and a "hmmm, four years is a long time to have been dealing with hamstring pain!". It couldn't have been more than an 8min evaluation and the response was, "get an MRI and then we'll see what's going on". And the question of "should I be running on it?" was met with a "well, I guess you could, but just don't go fast". Well geeez, thanks! ...and here's your $30 co-pay! woohoo! Ugh.. sorry, I'll cut the sarcasm.

Doc did also gave me a referral for more PT but with no specific diagnosis, I'd be doing the same things I was doing back in January/February when I was going. I loved my PT, but the treatment didn't seem to be helping anything. I think I'll wait until I get the MRI results before I resume PT.

So overwhelmed by frustration and self loathing after two weeks of drastically cutting my running back and zero pain relief, I decided to just walk it out. I walked about 6miles last night and that even made my leg hurt. grrr... I knew I had to get an MRI to determine what's going on and I also know I should have done this awhile ago. But honestly, it's just easier to be frustrated with the doctor then it is to be with myself. And really, there's no one else to blame but myself. I mean, I knew I had an issue with my hamstring and what did I do??? Well, I signed up for a kickboxing class. If that's not wicked smaaaat, I don't know what is!

Okay, okay, no more sarcasm.. promise! I'll try to stay positive!

My MRI is scheduled for early next week and they're checking my back, hips and hamstring. He wants to rule out a herniated disk or any issues in my hips. Considering my father had a herniated disk as well as two hip replacements before the age of 50, I think it would be important to rule this out as well. So, for now, more pool running and cycling for moi.

My spring racing plans are also foiled by all of this. I'm no longer participating in the Brooklyn Biathlon and the Broad Street Run is questionable. I'm just pushing everything back until I can get this figured out. I'd be incredibly sad if I have to sit Broad Street out since I've been wanting to do it for years. But I'm not racing it, if I can't race it right. I just won't do it!

5 comments:

XOXO said...

Hey.

This is a bummer but...I am going to try to share SOME type of positive energy.

Doctor = very frustrating.

Hopefully, the MRI will get you somewhere closer to understanding what is going on with your hamstring. Do you have an appointment for the doctor to look at it with you? I found that to be the most frustrating part of my first MRI. I had it done and wanted someone to tell me, right then, what the story was....only to hear I had to make another appointment to have it read.

Good luck. Keep your head up.

scarinzic said...

Sorry to hear you're on the sidelines. Good luck with the MRI!

Too bad you can't make the Brooklyn Biathlon! I'm registered - my first multi-sport race of the season. That said, I've got to figure out a smart way to get my gear down to Brooklyn via public transport. Awesome.

Hang in there...

MBARRY said...

Ugh. I am sorry. The non-diagnoses are incredibly frustrating.

If venting is what you need, we should chat. If venting while hobbling is what you need, well then that's also an option...

But wait and see what all these tests yield. Maybe it will be something definitive. (fingers crossed).

DFerg said...

Scarinzic, I'm going to head up and check out the Brooklyn Biathlon in a few weeks to check it out.. Best of luck to you!! I'm sure your anxious to get out there!! And I understand the frustration with transporting your gear. Would it be possible/better to maybe rent a zip car?

Coach Cane mentioned that it might be the perfect time for me to "make lemonade" and focus on my cycling and swimming. I agree, I should probably just switch gears until I get the MRI back.

XOXO said...

Make lemondade and SWIM.

I can personally vouch - it is not a bad sport.

After June 7, I would love to come swim with you.