Thursday, July 10, 2008

MRI - Arthrogram - Postponed!

Not that I was really looking forward to having dye injected into my hip (sounds lovely huh?), but I was very interested to see what this image would show. It seems that I will not have that opportunity, well at least not right now. As it turns out, the price of the Arthrogram was about $3,000! This is about $2,400 more than what the same imaging center told me it would cost the day before (when I called to find out). Plus, that price doesn't include the x-rays I'm schededule to get done as well.

Interesting how no one seems to know what they are talking about when it comes to medical billing and insurance. It seems like everyone just guestimates and hopes they are right. I imagin the United Health Care - customer service center as a whole floor of cubicals filled with customer service reps all sitting around chearping in the phone their best bullsh*t guestimates. With the corporate moto hanging on a banner over head, "Do your best to make sure the customer thinks you know what the hell you're talking about!" or "when all else fails, talk in circles until they give up".

Anyway, after going back and forth (on the phone) with my Doctor's office and the "peach" of a lady behind the glass at the imaging center, I decided to reschedule at a later time. I need to first figure out how I will pay for this.

It just frustrating knowing that I could shell out $800+ for MRIs and x-rays and have them turn out normal. Is that worth the peace of mind? I'm still trying to figure that out. Seriously, what do people do that have SERIOUS medical issues. On a scale of severity, my issue probably wouldn't even qualify as a "2" out of 10... and yet I want to scream.

I left the imaging center and sat by the east river watching a few trash barges and a couple yahts move up and down the river. I watched the happy runners trotting along the river path below and along the edge of Roosevelt Island on the other side of the river. I sat there for about 20mins hoping no one would come over and question why I was bawling like a big fat baby and that's when it started to rain, hard. nice. Anyway, the rain was enough to make me laugh at the entire situation. And then I started my trek back to the subway. Btw, who puts an MRI imaging center 3/4 of a mile away from any subway? idiots! This thought made me laugh too. The walk gave me enough time in the rain to notice that my leg hurt just walking home and that I probably need to cough it up and get the test done. Today just wasn't the day.

On a positive note, this morning is the most gorgeous day I've seen in a while. The skies in NYC are clear, bright blue and there's a slight breeze. GORGEOUS! :) Nothing like a fresh start of a new day to make you feel a whole lot better.

2 comments:

Erik said...

wait...i thought you had a sugar daddy to pay for things?

DFerg said...

If my SD is going to pay for anything, it's not gonna be a MRI arthrogram that i can tell you! I need SD to pay for things I can show off to my friends like this shiny bling I have on my left ring finger. :)